My little princess had a specific request for today’s breakfast… french toast with strawberries inside! This was a very specific request… and a serious one! So I did a quick search to gather a few ideas to figure out how to make this happen! and did a careful search my fridge to see what we actually have (this was a 8 am request…).
I found bread, eggs, cream cheese and strawberries… so it was time to roll up the sleeves and get started!
The results… a very well surprised Princess (and the rest of the family) with a very colorful and fancy looking breakfast that everyone loved it! The flavor was great… strawberries, vanilla and cream cheese go very well together and the assembly was super easy… easy like Sunday morning…
Strawberries with vanilla cream cheese stuffed French Toast
Makes 4 French Toasts
Start by letting the cream cheese warm up and get softer at room temperature.
Prepare the quick strawberry sauce. Put the cleaned and sliced strawberries with the sugar, vanilla extract and lemon juice in a small sauce pan in medium heat. Mix very well to coat the strawberries evenly. let it cook for 5 to 10 minutes to make the strawberries soft. With the potato masher, brake the strawberries into a chunky sauce and set aside (if needed the sauce get thicker by leaving the pan in very low heat for an additional 5 minutes).
In the meanwhile, slice the french bread into slices (no more then an inch thick) and set aside.
Prepare the Vanilla Cream Cheese by mixing the softer cream cheese with the vanilla and the sweetener using a fork. Mix well for a homogenous and creamy mix. Adjust the flavors if needed and set aside.
Lastly, prepare the egg mix in a bowl by combining the eggs, milk, vanilla and sugar. Beat well until homogenous, transfer into a deep plate and set aside.
Melt 3 tablespoons of butter in a frying pan in low/medium heat and coat the bottom of the frying pan evenly with the melted butter.
This French Toast will be assemble the following way:
- Spread the Vanilla Cream Cheese on 2 slices of bread –
- Spread the strawberry sauce in one of the slices and cover with the second one.
- Press the “sandwich” gently with hand
- Pass the “sandwich” by the egg mix on both sides
- Transfer the sandwich battered in the egg mix to the frying pan with the melted butter
- Let it cook for for 2 minutes a side (or until golder color) and during the time press gently with the spatula
- Flip the French Toast and cook for another 2 minutes and pressing again during the cooking time.
Transfer the French Toast to the serving plate and garnish with powered sugar and fresh strawberries and a little bit of lemon juice! Enjoy!
Quick Strawberry Sauce
- 10 strawberries washed, hulled and sliced
- 2 teaspoons of pure vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons of sugar
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
Vanilla Cream Cheese
- 4 oz of Cream Cheese
- 2 tablespoons of Vanilla extract
- 2 table spoons of Agave sweetener (or any other one)
- 8 slices of French bread (or any your favorite bread)
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons of milk
- 1 tablespoon of sugar
- Powered sugar
- red and white granulated sugar
- fresh sliced strawberries
- mint leaves
- lemon juice