Clafoutis (French pronunciation: [klafuti]; Occitan: clafotís [klafuˈtis] or [kʎafuˈtiː]), sometimes in Anglophone countries spelled clafouti, is a baked French dessert of fruit, traditionally black cherries, arranged in a buttered dish and covered with a thick flan-like batter. The clafoutis is dusted with powdered sugar and served lukewarm, sometimes with cream.
Sounds yummy… I got a card on the mail (advertisement) that almost make a direct flight into the garbage can but it had this recipe on its back… apple clafoutis… it caught my attention! I looked it up so see what kind of desert it was and what optional fruits worked the best (apple and pear)… and the different between using milk vs. heavy cream…
My “Ray of Sunshine” #2 was up earlier (he is an early bird) so we let Dada and “Ray of Sunshine” #1 to sleep in so I had a few minutes to put breakfast together… quick inventory around the kitchen and we had apples, blackberries and milk… mixing a few recipes and adapting to what I had… we made breakfast happen! it goes very very well with a mind tea or a nice cup of coffee!
Apple and Blackberry Clafoutis
Makes 1 9 to 10″ Clafoutis
- Heat your oven at 375F
- Butter the bottom and the sides of a dish pie (9″ diameter) and coat with granulated sugar (bottom and sides).
- Mix the 3 eggs and the 1/2 cup of granulated sugar well
- Add 1 tbsp of almond butter and mix
- Add 3/4 of a cup of flour and mix well
- prepare the remain ingredients: 1 and 1/2 cups of milk, 1 tbsp pure vanilla extract, 1 tsp cinnamon, 1 tsp ground ginger, the zest of 2 tangerines and mix well
- Add this mix to the batter in the mixer and mix for 10 minutes
- Peel and core 2/3 apples (enough to cover the bottom of your pie dish) and cut in small edges and arrange them on your dish
- Add the blackberries in the center
- Carefully spread the batter over the fruit – note the batter will be very fluid so add the batter carefully so the fruit does not get displaced.
- Place the pie dish on the middle rack of your oven
- Bake for 30 minutes (more if necessary) – always test with a toothpick!
- Let cool down a bit and sprinkle confectioner sugar over the cake and enjoy!
- 1 tbsp butter
- 3 eggs
- 2/3 apples peeled, cored and thinly sliced (depending on the size)
- 10 blackberries cleaned
- 1/2 cup + 2 tbsp of granulated sugar
- 3/4 of all-propose flour
- 1 and 1/2 of cups of whole milk
- 1 tsp of cinnamon
- 1 tsp of ground ginger
- zest of 2 tangerines
- confectioner sugar for garnish